Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous gas that is colourless and odourless and if it goes undetected, can cause serious illness including death.
CO is produced when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood don’t burn completely in common
fuel-burning appliances. It inhibits blood from absorbing oxygen to cells, tissues and
Carbon Monoxide is a leading cause of accidental poisonings in Ontario
Poor maintenance, installation or improper use of these appliances puts you at risk of a CO leak. Damaged or blocked venting, or inadequate airflow can cause dangerous levels of CO to build up, (especially in a confined space) and have toxic, deadly effects on humans and pets.LEARN MORE
In severe cases, CO poisoning can cause brain, nerve or heart damage
Pets may help to identify
a potential danger by:
If symptoms appear, get everyone (including pets) to fresh air immediately and call 911 or your
local fire department.
Loss of Consciousness
You can't see it, hear it, smell it or taste it, but
it can kill you
before you even know it's there.
There is NO FEVER with CO poisoning so do not confuse these symptoms with the flu.